Sunday, 4 December 2011

Guest Week Day 7: Anon. on Why They Didn't Vote

The following is a short piece from an internet acquaintance. Again, a preemptive Mod Voice note: This is someone who has never thought to put up any of their political opinions on the Internet before. Speaking out, especially in the face of an immense frustration at the low voter turn-out from people who did vote, is not easy, and a torrent of righteous indignation in the comments field would Not Help Anyone.

In any case, here it is.




A Vote for Jughead Is A Vote For a Healthier America


I didn't vote because I don't actively educate myself on policies etc of specific parties.

I just have other priorities and interests and its the last thing on the list. It feels like a chore and I'd rather spend time working on other things. Personally, if something doesn't interest me I find it really hard to focus on it and it just goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm the sort of person that will just accept what happens and get on with it - in New Zealand it doesn't seem like we really have any hard left and right wing, probably more so on the left if anything..

I feel like making an uneducated decision is worse than just voting for someone because someone tells you to vote - it seemed like after the election everyone was disgusted about the lack of voters when really they were just angry because their party didn't win.


I feel like you shouldn't vote if you don't want to. People getting mad about it won't change the fact that most people my age don't really feel like they are directly affected by the results of who is in office anyway, so whats to make you feel like you want to change it?

That's how I feel anyway, I'd rather just keep out of it. Maybe when I'm older I'll feel differently but hey, just being honest, I'm not interested in politics at all really.

I think there is an aspect of relatability (not a real word) in there somewhere; they need to change the way they go about campaigning etc if they want to involve or even interest the youth seeing as they are the future of this country, and, I suspect, the large majority of the 35% of people that didn't vote.

I'm sure as I age I will come up against something that will make me a little bit more active about politics but until then it doesn't feel like it's any of my business.



Jacinda Adern (Labour) and Nikki Kaye (Auckland) have a regular column in the Herald where they each put across their views on the issues of the day. This column - that precedes the last election by almost 3 weeks - covers their views on youth engagement in politics.

2 comments:

  1. So, too egocentric.

    That's ok, in a young person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Case in point at what I was alluding to in my guest blog.

    Good on you for writing about it, it's interesting to hear other peoples points of view on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! Please feel free to share any image or idea you find on the MemeSpree NZ 2011. Cheers!