Saturday, 3 December 2011

Guest Week Day Six: Lib. B. on the Choice of No Choice


Lib. is an active participant in and coach for community sport, works as a food service worker, and is very interested in women, and their rights.

Below she outlines why she feels that no current political party fairly represents her and her values, and why she chose “Option D: None of the Above.”




     This round of voting I chose not to vote. I’m very pro- women (giggling to myself right now) and love how women fought for my right to vote and I do appreciate this. But with the right to vote also comes the right to choose not to.

     I have lost faith in both Labour- and National- led Governments. People asked me why I didn’t vote and I answered them with, “Because there’s no ‘none of the above’ option.”

     National are a party that will increase the gap between the rich and the poor; and as for John Key, he lost me when he flat out promised not to raise GST to 15% and then did. It’s not the raising of GST that gets me; it’s the lie in the first place.

     You may be picking up that I’m rather anti-National, which I am, but Labour seems to lack leadership and integrity; those values appear to have left with the departure of Helen. Labour currently reminds me of a school child pointing fingers at the other kids: very quick to point out the flaws of other parties and politicians but not doing anything properly themselves. Yes fingers need to be pointed, but also make sure you’re not doing the same or a similar thing yourselves.

     As for smaller parties, the Greens would be the only group I would choose, but again, from what I’ve seen in the past the smaller parties often sell out to Labour or National in the hopes of getting into a place of power. But really how much influence do they actually have?

     Bear in mind these thoughts are solely based on opinion and media driven knowledge. A factual level of political knowledge is not something I possess nor want to; frankly, I don't trust that the media or politicians would tell me the truth about their positions, and besides, I don't really find politics overly interesting. 

     Until the next election I will sit tight and quietly watch what unfolds with National leading the government with Banks and Peters thrown in the mix, because even though I feel I have the right to not vote, I feel that in doing so I give up my right to complain about anything the government does until the next election.



Image Source and a Wikipedia article on "None Of The Above" as used in general elections to place the "protest vote" in one place.

2 comments:

  1. Pre-emptive Moderator Note from [Arthur]:

    I know that there's a lot of... passion... directed against the 32% of eligible voters who didn't cast a ballot. I ask only that you read this before commenting, and respect her reasons; and please bear in mind that in many cases these posts do not come from people who regularly participate in online political debate. Thank you, and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never understood the "if you don't vote, you can't complain" concept. Why should refusal to choose a representative who doesn't represent you mean that you should keep quiet? Your representatives have failed you, you have not failed them or your fellow citizens. If however, you meant to vote but forgot or were to drunk or busy or whatever - different story. Until 'none of the above' becomes an option on the ballot paper, refusing to vote is a valid choice in a democracy. (I did vote btw)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! Please feel free to share any image or idea you find on the MemeSpree NZ 2011. Cheers!